Imagine lying under trees on the grass beside a river on a lovely summer day, with the shadows of the swaying branches on your face, you lose yourself in the sound of murmuring water.
Watching the ripples and how they play with the sunlight will easily lull you into a state of meditation.
Like you, many great minds have found something beautiful and inspiring in water.
And who wouldn’t? Water is a source of life. Civilizations gravitate towards it. Empires have risen and fallen next to water.
Here, we have collected 49 interesting water reflection quotes that you can reflect on. Let these inspire you and bring out your inner nature so that you, too, maybe like water.
49 Water Reflection Quotes That You Can Reflect On
1. “As social beings we live with our eyes upon our reflection but have no assurance of the tranquility of the waters in which we see it.” ― Charles Horton Cooley
2. “Like water which can clearly mirror the sky and the trees only so long as its surface is undisturbed, the mind can only reflect the true image of the Self when it is tranquil and wholly relaxed.” ― Indra Devi
3. “The human heart is like the reflection on the water’s surface. The mouth says things opposite to what the heart really feels.” ― Masashi Kishimoto
4. “In order to reflect, think and plan, you must quiet yourself. You can’t see your reflection in churning waters. Water must be still to see your reflection.” ― Karen Hantze Susman
5. “Realization doesn’t destroy the individual any more than the reflection of the moon breaks a drop of water. A drop of water can reflect the whole sky.” ― Dogen
6. “The water is always deeper than what it reflects.” ― Marty Rubin
7. Unlike a drop of water which loses its identity when it joins the ocean, man does not lose his being in the society in which he lives. Man’s life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self. ― B. R. Ambedkar
8. Nothing in the world is more flexible and yielding than water. Yet when it attacks the firm and the strong, none can withstand it, because they have no way to change it. So, the flexible overcome the adamant, the yielding overcomes the forceful. Everyone knows this, but no one can do it. ― Laozi
9. Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can’t go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does. ― Margaret Atwood
10. In time and with water, everything changes. ― Leonardo da Vinci
11. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend. ― Bruce Lee
12. Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong. ― Laozi
13. When the waters of a lake are absolutely still, the lake reflects the trees, the sky, and everything around it perfectly. At the slightest breeze, with the smallest ripple in the waters, the lake reflects nothing but itself. To see another with clarity and objectivity, one first must master stillness. The slightest breeze of judgment or interpretation from the rational mind will create a ripple that shatters awareness and returns us to ordinary perception. ― Alberto Villoldo
14. “Always be like water. Float in the times of pain or dance like waves along the wind which touches its surface.” ― Santosh Kalwar
15. “Water is soft and humble, but it is the most powerful and is the most endurable.” ― Debasish Mridha
16. “I am like the water that runs over me, immune to permanence, recycling endlessly. I am water; I am life. The form may change, but the substance stays the same. Strike me down and I will rise again. Vincit qui patitur.” ― Rick Yancey
17. “There’s something about the thousands of glittering lights, the veil of nighttime that almost makes this place beautiful, especially in the reflection of the water. It makes everything askew, disoriented. There’s more truth in a ripple of water than in a clear day.” ― Ellie Lieberman
18. “The emotional states are liberated inside water, we calm down emotionally, we become more sensitive, we are able to “touch” deeper ourselves and other beings. Empathy is echoing back to us, giving subtle vibrations from the realm of the senses. Find your water.” ― Grigoris Deoudis
19. “Do not be hardened by the pain and cruelty of this world. Be strong enough to be gentle, to be soft and supple like running water, gracefully bending around sudden turns, lithely waving in strong winds, freely flowing over sharp rocks, all the while quietly sculpting this hard world into ever deeper beauty, gently eroding rigid rock into silken sand, tenderly transforming human cruelty into human kindness. Remember, true strength is not found in the stone, but in the water that shapes the stone.” ― L.R. Knost
20. “To improve oneself you must be as persistent as the drip, drip, drip of water filling a bucket. Do a little bit, every day.” ― Jeffrey Fry
21. “Be like water, which is fluid and soft and yielding, as in time, water will overcome rock which is rigid and hard. Therefore, what is soft is strong.” ― Anonymous
22. Water, thou hast no taste, no color, no odor; canst not be defined, art relished while ever mysterious. Not necessary to life, but rather life itself, thou fillest us with a gratification that exceeds the delight of the senses. ― Antoine de Saint-Exupery
23. “Running water never grows stale, so you just have to keep on Flowing.” ― Bruce Lee
24. “Water is the driving force of all nature.” ― Leonardo Da Vinci
25. “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
26. “To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim, you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do, you will sink and drown, instead, you relax, and float.” ― Alan Watts
27. “Somehow I kept my head above water. I relied on the discipline, character, and strength that I had started to develop as that little girl in her first swimming pool.” ― Esther Williams
28. “Water is the softest of all things, yet it is the most powerful. The ocean patiently allows all things to flow into it. It is always flexible. The Tao is not about grasping, but allowing, like water.” ― Wayne Dyer
29. “We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see.” ― Zen Saying
30. “Water is the softest thing, yet it can penetrate mountains and earth. This shows clearly the principle of softness overcoming hardness.” ― Lao Tzu
31. “The mind is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm, everything becomes clear.” ― Prasad Mahes
32. “Always be like water. Float in times of pain or dance like waves along the wind which touches its surface.” ― Santosh Kalwar
33. “So let the mind flow like water. Face life with a calm and quiet mind and everything in life will be calm and quiet.” ― Thich Thien-An
34. “Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive but adjust to the object and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.” ― Bruce Lee
35. “The small wisdom is like water in a glass: clear, transparent, pure. The great wisdom is like the water in the sea: dark, mysterious, impenetrable.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
36. “In deep waters, you encounter only the wise and the brave; in shallow waters, the ignorant and the coward!” ― Mehmet Murat Iidan
37. “What is harder than stone? What softer than water? Nevertheless, hard though rock be, it hollowed by the wave.” ― Ovid
38. “The still waters of a lake reflect the beauty around it. When the mind is still, the beauty of the Self is seen reflected in it.” ― B.K.S Iyengar
39. “One cannot reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.” ― Lao Tzu
40. “You can’t see your reflection in boiling water. Similarly, you can’t see the truths in your life a state of anger.” ― Unknown
41. “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.” ― Proverbs 27:19
42. “Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend”. ― Bruce Lee
43. “On the still calm waters of surrender, the reflections of clarity appear.” ― Bryant McGill
44. “The sun shines down, and its image reflects in a thousand different pots filled with water. There are many, but they are each reflecting the same sun. Similarly, when we come to know who we truly are, we will see ourselves in all people.” ― Mata Amritanandamayi
45. “Men do not mirror themselves in running water – they mirror themselves in still water. Only what is still can still the stillness of other things.” ― Zhuangzi
46. “In a mind clear as still water, even the waves, breaking, are reflecting its light.” ― Dogen
47. “People dread silence because it is transparent; like clear water, which reveals every obstacle― the used, the dead, the drowned, silence reveals the cast-off words and thoughts dropped in to obscure its clear stream. And when people stare too close to silence they sometimes face their own reflections, their magnified shadows in the depths, and that frightens them. I know; I know.” ― Janet Fame
48. “This is what Zen means by being detached, not being without emotion or feeling, but being one in whom feeling is not sticky or blocked, and through whom the experiences of the world pass like the reflections of birds over water.” ― Alan Watts
49. “The undisturbed mind is like the calm body water reflecting the brilliance of the moon. Empty the mind and you will realize the undisturbed mind.” ― Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi
Water is one of the greatest sources of inspiration. You can be still and calm like a lake, or you can be strong and powerful like a raging sea. It all depends on you and how you let water reflect you.
So, take a shower, have a drink of water, maybe relax in the pool, or swim in the ocean. Look for ways through which you can release your inner nature. Be water.
Allen Wei is someone who believes in living his best life, focusing on balance, happiness, and relaxation. He fosters a positive lifestyle in terms of his body, mind, and environment, and he is a huge proponent of learning to be balanced via relaxation techniques integrated into our busy lives.
Last Updated on